Saturday, December 22, 2007

Santa Be Nice To Phil

I hope that everybody is having fun doing Christmas shopping.

Anybody know where I can find a Boy's Medium Tony Romo throwback jersey? Or how about a Nintendo Wii?

I can hear you laughing, don't rub it in. I was busy back when I should have been looking for those items.


The red Ipod Nano has been hard to find too. Therefore, I had to settle for buying my grandson a PSP.

I don't guess I'm a bad Santa.

Nevertheless, if I was really Santa (and I might be you don't really know) I would do something nice this Christmas for Tennessee head coach Phil Fulmer.

This big guy has had worse luck than Soap Opera stars in final last days of their contracts.

He had to boot LaMarcus Coker off the team this season.

Select media and fans across the state have at times called for his firing. Nonetheless, Fulmer has rallied his troops and carried his team to the SEC championship game.

If quarterback Erik Ainge didn't throw a couple of costly interceptions, the Vols might be the SEC Champions today.

However, Fulmer still can't get a break.

Offensive coordinator David Cutcliffe has taken the Duke University coaching job.

Isn't this the same Duke University that hasn't had a winning season since 1994 and only three in the past 20? In addition, the Blue Devils were 1-11 this season.

Other Tennessee assistants are sure to follow Cutcliffe to Duke.

Super assistant Trooper Taylor has bolted to Oklahoma State where he thinks he might get to call plays as an offensive coordinator.

Rumors of players leaving early for the NFL or transferring have bounced off the Smokey Mountains and were heard across the state.

But just when Ma in her kerchief and I in my cap had just settled in for a long winter's nap, up on the Hill I heard such a clatter and sprung from of my bed to see what was a matter.

And what to my wondering eyes should appear, but six Vols academically out of here.


Actually, the six Vols, including starters Lucas Taylor (WR), Rico McCoy (LB) and Demonte Bolden (DT) will miss the Outback Bowl, but will be back in school for the spring semester.

Now, don't you think that Coach Fulmer deserves something nice for Christmas?

Come on, he's a nice man. He's a native Tennessean, has a tremendous winning percentage and a national championship.

He and his wife donated a million dollars to the university this year.

Let's each one of us do something nice for the old coach and send him an email or Christmas card to boost his holiday spirits.

There has to be times that Fulmer feels like the "Lonely Maytag Repairman."

Wealthy college football coaches need love too.

Maybe Santa (again, you're not totally sure it's not me) will stop by Tallahassee on Christmas and leave a few presents for Florida State coach Bobby Bowden.

It seems that Bobby has 36 players not playing in the Music City Bowl Dec. 31 against Kentucky due to an academic cheating scandal, violations of team rules, injuries or other reasons.

Leave him some shoes too Santa. Florida State loves free shoes.

No comments: