Monday, April 28, 2008

Adarius Bowman Not Drafted


What went wrong with Adarius Bowman?

The former Notre Dame School star is the best high school wide receiver I've ever seen play.

In fact, he’s one of the top five prep football players I’ve seen on the gridiron.

I deemed him a can’t miss.

He had it all.

Adarius had the size, speed, hands and athletic ability to go along with the most pleasant, yet competitive dispositions I can remember.


Don't take my word for it. Just check out his credentials on his website http://www.bowman12.com/.

In my business, I have dealt with thousands of youngsters. Evaluating those youngsters as people and athletes is what I do best.

Therefore, when I say Adarius Bowman is one the finest I ever dealt with I think I know what I’m talking about.

He had a $million dollar smile and was always polite and mannerly in high school.
When he would visit the Stump On Sports television show he was always a pleasure to work with.

Even those who competed against the former SuperPrep All-America prep player pulled for him to succeed.

Saturday I watched the National Football League Draft and checked my Blackberry all day to see who to drafted Adarius.

Sunday, I followed the same pattern.

Nevertheless, with my wife waiting to go to dinner I waited until the final pick to see if the two-time Tennessee Mr. Football would be selected.

That moment didn’t come.

Adarius Bowman is 6-foot-4 and his playing weight is around 220 pounds.

The USA Today ran a story last fall that ranked Bowman in the top 15 seniors in the nation regardless of position. A test to determine his body fat came back at zero.

NFL analyst projected Adarius as a low first round pick last fall.

I said on the ESPN Radio Show, The Drive, prior to the 2007 NFL Draft that I hoped the Dallas Cowboys would take him this year to team with Terrell Owens.

So, what went wrong?

It could have been the 4.74 seconds 40-yard dash time at the NFL Combine back in February.

On the other hand, it could have been what was described by scouts as bad routes or too many dropped passes at the Senior Bowl workouts.

Those factors alone might have dropped Adarius some in the draft. However, not from the 15th best senior in the nation last fall to out of the top 252 this weekend.

Marijuana likely cost Adarius millions of dollars.

He was arrested April 1 in McMinn County where he was charged with possession of the controlled substance.

This was the second time marijuana cast a dark shadow on his athletic career.

As a freshman at North Carolina, Adarius was removed from the football team following a marijuana possession charge.

Somebody will give Adarius an opportunity to play in the NFL. He’s a good kid who made two, too many mistakes.

There’s still a chance that he can be an NFL star.

Adarius has the tools and hard work will get his speed numbers back in line.

His agent was quoted last week as saying that nobody ever ran Adarius down from behind in the Big 12.

It’s time for Adarius Bowman to prove to all the people out there that he’s a champion on and off the field.

I still think I was right about him.

He has it all.

It’s now time to show all of it off.

No comments: