Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Top DE Takes Ohio State Over Vols


Georgia Football magazine managing editor Robert Naddra reports that one of the Peach State's finest has decided against attending Tennessee.

Phil Fulmer sent his entire Tennessee staff to visit Keith Wells at Gainesville High School last week. Notre Dame pulled out all the stops during Wells’ visit on Saturday.

But those two experiences could not sway Wells. The 6-5, 235-pound senior defensive lineman committed to Ohio State on Monday morning.

“I went to Notre Dame with an open mind. I felt more comfortable at Ohio State and saw myself being more successful academically and in football there,” Wells said Monday night.

Wells took his official visit to Ohio State in early December and had listed the Buckeyes along with Tennessee and Notre Dame as his three finalists for the past several weeks.

“(The Ohio State coaches) told me that if I go in and apply myself, the opportunity is there,” Wells said. “They said how much I play as a freshman is up to me. I just want to get stronger and get acclimated to the system. If I can put on a solid 10 pounds of muscle mass, I’ll be ready to play. All I have to do is get stronger.”

Wells is interested in earning an engineering degree and said he likely will study civil or mechanical engineering.

No comments: