Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Fulmer's Monday Press Conference

COMMENTS FROM TENNESSEE HEAD COACH Phillip Fulmer

"This is not an easy day for me or my family. It's not a day that I sought or accepted easily. As a young sophomore playing for Coach (Doug) Dickey, that field outside is where I first got my jersey dirty playing in a big game for Tennessee. It was Sept. 29, 1969. I was 19 years old. We were playing Auburn on television that day, something rare for Tennessee at that time. We whipped a higher-ranked Auburn team. Tennessee football has been the focus of my professional life ever since. I'm a very lucky man. Very few people in this world are lucky enough to get to pursue their passions for even a little while. I have been pursuing my passion since that day here against Auburn 38 years ago.

"I am a family man, and proud of it. My son and daughters and Vicky mean everything to me. My family is bigger than just my children and my wife. We have been very blessed to include thousands of players, dozens of coaches and millions of Tennessee fans in our family.

"We just came off a 2007 season that we played for the championship in Atlanta for the fifth time in 17 years. That's an average of every third year that we were in Atlanta. However, this 2008 season has not gone as anyone would like. That includes me, our coaches, our players, our administration and our great fans. Many fans have been supportive, some have been angry. All of us are disappointed. Tennessee has high expectations for its football team, and I'm proud that our accomplishments over the last 17 years have been a part of those high expectations. Our Tennessee family is united in its goals, but divided in the right path to get there. I love Tennessee too much to let her stay divided. That is why I accepted the University's decision that this will be my last season as Tennessee's head football coach.

"I am more than confident that our staff and players will turn this trend around. Our history proves it; our recruiting for this year proves it. I have invested a lot of my life into this university and wish nothing but the best for its continued success, and I will help my successor if needed or asked for in any way possible if he chooses. I love this university and hope everyone knows that beyond a shadow of a doubt.

"I thank my family for allowing me to do this job for an assistant coach for 13 years and as the head coach for 17 years. They have sacrificed much, but also had some wonderful experiences and lifetime memories. I thank all the young men and families that trusted us enough to attend UT and proudly wear the Orange and White. In almost all cases, our teams have enjoyed success. And just as I did, our young men grew from their experiences on the field as young men and as students. I thank all the coaches and support groups that have helped me fight the battles on the field, on the recruiting trail and with the development of our young men. Most are and will be friends for life.

"I thank my close friends, who have encouraged me when days are tough and celebrated many great victories with me. I thank Doug Dickey and Joe Johnson, two great men who believed in me and trusted me. I hope I have made them proud. I thank our fans who supported me and our teams in Neyland Stadium; in Tempe, Ariz.; with great victories in Athens, Ga., Birmingham and Tuscaloosa, Ala., Gainesville, Fla., at Notre Dame, at Baton Rouge and at Miami and in Atlanta. I'm very proud of all we have accomplished here at UT. We've won more than most anyone at any school ever has. We've had some of UT's greatest teams; we've had many of its greatest players and we've done it right by NCAA rules. I'll remember fondly the battles we fought to get to 150 victories. I wish nothing but the best for my alma mater in the future.

"I am not certain what the future holds for me professionally. I am pleased the university wants me to stay on board in come capacity. It is very difficult for me to call this an end to my coaching career. Right now, I'm focused on these young men that I recruited to be here with this football team. They have three games left, and I will give them my full devotion to make sure we finish in a positive way. When those games are over, I will step back and reflect.

"With this decision behind us, I am very hopeful and very confident that the Tennessee people will rally around our young men and start their new road right now. These players have worked hard and deserve it. The young men out there who will be Vols next year need to see it as well. As I close, I want to thank the Tennessee people for all the opportunities I've been given and earned here. I've been blessed to work hard at a job every day doing something that never felt like a job. I was doing something that I loved. Vicky and my son and daughters are lucky to be Volunteers, and we will say thank you to everyone who loves the Vols. Thank you."

On what the last 24-48 hours have been like for him...
"I don't think there's any reason to rehash that. I just went through how I felt about this university and I do think, given the opportunity, this team and this staff could have turned this trend around and gone forward. But that wasn't the case, so we are where we are. It's been very emotional for my family, very emotional for the team and everybody considered.

On his players attending the press conference...
"That's what we're about. Some people may not understand that as well as others. When you're in the homes of these young men and you work 18 hours a day with the coaches, you sacrifice a lot. It's in the name of Saturday afternoon, but it's not really about Saturday afternoon at all. The reason we all got into coaching was to have that relationship we have. A lot of people don't ever get to experience it and I've had it for a long time."

On taking another position within the athletics department...
"I don't think now is the time for me to reflect on that. We've got three games left and hopefully a chance to get to a bowl game. At that point, I'll have more time to think through that. I'm a football coach. I'll look at that route possibly. I do appreciate the opportunity that has been extended."

On how he hopes he's remembered by the Tennessee people...
"I think history will document the number of great young men who have come through here as players and the teams that have won in the places that I just mentioned. More than that, the impact of so many really wonderful coaches and people have had on a lot young guys that have come through. It's not about just a name on a plaque somewhere. It's about being in the trenches and fighting out."

No comments: