Monday, September 8, 2008

Orange-Blooded: A Lifetime of Tennessee Football


Die-Hard Fan Shares Memories of Vols Football Spanning Nearly Four Decades


CHATTANOOGA, Tenn. – University of Tennessee football fans, rejoice: Super fan Kelly McKeethan is bringing the Big Orange love with his new book, Orange-Blooded: The Veins of My Life.

An autobiography interwoven with the peaks and valleys of the legendary Tennessee Volunteers football program, Orange-Blooded covers each football season of McKeethan’s life in chronological order, from the early 1970s through today.

“At every stage of my life, the Vols have had a profound influence on my being,” McKeethan writes. “Similar to many Tennesseans, I have lived and died many times on Saturdays in the fall, sometimes on multiple occasions on the same day. I want to take you through my life as it has been impacted by Tennessee football.”

In each of the book’s 20 chapters, McKeethan discusses his memories of each game, from statistics and rankings to where he was during the action. According to McKeethan, he can count on his hands (“no toes required”) the number of games he has missed over the years.

As readers watch McKeethan grow from his birth in 1970 through the decades, they also watch the Vols grow from “also-rans” in the 1970s to a national powerhouse in the 1990s and beyond. At the end of each chapter, McKeethan recalls his favorite memories about Vols who wore the number of that chapter.

“I cannot imagine life without being a Tennessee fan,” McKeethan proclaims to his readers in the book’s introduction:

In fact, there have been a few games when I have been asked who I would pick to win if my life depended on getting the winner right. My response has always been simple: “Life’s not worth living if we don’t win.” I know many of you share my passion for Big Orange football. We all have our favorite memories of the Vols through the years. I want to stir those memories as you read the coming pages. I hope you remember plays, games, events, and moments you have not thought of in many years and say, “Oh, yeah. I remember that.” So hang on tight for a ride of over 30 years of Big Orange memories!

Born and raised in Oak Ridge, Tenn., McKeethan graduated from the University of Tennessee – Knoxville in 1991 with a bachelor’s degree in mathematics. A fellow of the Casualty Actuarial Society and employed as a pricing actuary, McKeethan lives in Chattanooga with his wife, Beckie, daughter, Sarah and son, Josh. Orange-Blooded: The Veins of My Life is McKeethan’s first book. For more information, visit http://www.52699.authorworld.com/.

No comments: